Written by Mrs. CYNTHIA RIZKALLAH, RN, MSN, Prenatal Educator, Pregnancy Coach, Breastfeeding Specialist & Doula
1. CHOOSE A POSITIVE BIRTH AFFIRMATION & MEMORIZE IT
No matter what you’re doing and whenever you go into labor the first thing that’s going to come to your mind if your positive birth affirmation and it will help you calm down, relax and enjoy this experience! You can also have music in the background if you want!
This is way you will also break the cycle of fear, tension and pain, by viewing contractions in a positive way!
In and out! In from your nose and out from your mouth! This will help your muscles relax and get more oxygen to your baby too!
3. DO NOT GO TO THE HOPSITAL DIRECTLTY … UNLESS YOU HAVE AN INDICATION
Early labor, when you’re dilating from 0 to 3 cm (when you’re having true contractions every 20 mins) can take around 6 to 12 hours for a first time mom so instead of spending all that time at the hospital, you can be at home, in your comfort zone and do so many things that can make you lose track of time! But please make sure to discuss this with your doctor to make sure that you don’t have any indication requiring you to go the hospital!
4. REMEMBER: CONTRACTIONS ARE MY FRIENDS, CONTRACTIONS ARE NOT MY ENEMIES!
They’re here to get your baby out! Your cervix can’t dilate without contractions so try to embrace them and breathe through them!
5. CAPTURE EVERY MOMENT: TAKE LOTS AND LOTS OF PHOTOS & VIDOES
You will enjoy looking back at them when all of this is done!
6. VISUALIZE WHERE YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE: GO TO YOUR HAPPY PLACE
When you’re in a situation that’s making you a bit anxious! Go to Santorini, Maldives, wherever you want! Close your eyes and travel around the world! Think of what you would be drinking or eating, smelling, touching, etc.
7- GET THE KNOWLEDGE YOU NEED BEFORE GOING TO THE HOSPITAL
- Increases your confidence
- Reduces the pain and anxiety felt during the labor and the delivery process
- Faster adaptation to the postpartum process
- Increases the chances of arriving to DS in active labor and thus decreasing oxytocin induction so decrease rate of C- section and increase the rate of normal vaginal delivery
- Increasing breastfeeding initiation, continuation and duration
8. HAVE BIRTH PREFERENCES: Make sure you discuss them with your doctor & birth partner
- You control your birth experience
- You have the right to have options
- You have the right to ask questions before saying yes…
It will make you happy that YOU decided how you want things to proceed!
9. TRUST YOUR BODY & YOUR BABY!
Your body was made for this and your baby knows the way! If your baby couldn’t do it vaginally, he or she will give you a sign through their heart rate for example! So trust the process!
10. ENJOY IT!
You will look back and say: I DID IT! It’s not every day you give birth! Make the best out of it!